Klin was founded in the 16th century. In the past, the town was famous for cloth making, tailoring, blacksmithing, rafting and roof shingles making. There are remarkable natural sceneries with varied relief. One of the most popular areas is the area around the Sculpture of Christ, from where one can admire not only Klin and other surrounding villages, but also Lake Orawskie and Roháče. There is National Nature Reserve Peatbog in Klin where rich plant communities of raised bogs have survived. In winter, you can take advantage of the wide range of cross-country skiing trails.
Peatland in Klin
A smaller peatland of the transitional type is located near the village Klin. It was designated as the Klinské rašelinisko State Nature Reserve in 1967 (later the Klinské rašelinisko National Nature Reserve). Its area is currently enclosed with a spruce fence to prevent the entry of cattle and to define the territory of the reserve. It is the oldest protected area declared to preserve peatlands communities in Orava.Read more
Peatlands of the Upper Orava
Upper Orava (in Slovak, Horná Orava) – the northern part of the Orava region, bordering Poland, is surrounded by the massif of the Orava Beskids, Oravska Magura and Western Tatras – Roháče. The mountainous areas surround a significant terrain depression, the Upper Orava Basin, which flows continuously into the Nowy-Targ Basin on the territory of Poland. Most of the Upper Orava area is located in Horná Orava Protected Landscape Area, which is the first large-scale protected area in Slovakia, where the zonation was carried out and is also part of the Natura 2000 as the Special Area of Conservation.Read more
Chapel of St. Anthony of Padua
It is located in the lower part of the town of Klin. It is evidence of the linen history of the village. It has characteristic elements of the classical style. The chapel belongs to the group of linen mansions in the village. It was probably built in the first half of the 19th century.
History of the municipality of Klin
The village of Klin was established in the Upper Orava region. From the Middle Ages the whole region belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary – at first as part of Zvolen and later Orava Comitatus. The village of Klin was thinly populated area in the past. Local people were involved mainly in cattle and sheep breeding. They were liable to Orava County based in Orava Castle. The situation has changed in the 16th century when Thurzo family acquired Orava County into his ownership and thus launched an ambitious project of Orava colonization. During that period many villages were founded, Klin being one of them.Read more
Weavers houses in Klin and in the surrounding area
Weavers houses and linen weaving architectural heritage in Orava is a unique cultural phenomenon. Weavers houses are dwellings constructed by weavers from Orava, in particular for residential purposes, but also for weaving manufacture, and mainly for the storage of goods. Weaving architecture also includes buildings of dyehouses and mangles, separate storage buildings and many other masonry or wooden buildings.Read more
Linen property Hlavná 163 a 164
Two residential buildings with a shared yard are located in Klin on Hlavna Street, buildings were in the past used for linen industry. The facades are richly decorated with architectural curvatures. The buildings, built in the 19th century, are a monument to national history.
Linen property Hlavná 212
The oldest linen property in Klin is located near the center of the village at Hlavna Street. It was built in the first half of the 19th century. It has recently been carefully restored and can be seen in almost authentic form. In front of the property there is a pillar with a sculpture of St. John of Nepomuk. The building is a monument to national history.
Linen property Hlavna 217
This linen property in Klin is located near the center of the village at Hlavna Street. In spite of many modifications, it retains the preserved architectonic morphology that testifies to its original appearance. The building is a monument to national history. It was built in the mid-nineteenth century.
History of the Settlement of Upper Orava region
From the Middle Ages the territory of Orava region was part of Orava Comitatus that belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary until 1918. Most villages established during that period were located in the valley of Orava river and were liable to Orava County. A few villages belonged also to the lower nobility. The territory of current Upper Orava region was situated along the border with Poland. Unlike today, the border area between two monarchies was thinly populated. Various trade routes were passing by the border area where custom stations called „tridsiatok“ were located. At that time they were fulfilling the role of customs as we know them nowadays. A fee on all imported goods from abroad was collected and amounted to 1/30 of the cost of goods.Read more
Church of St. Anthony of Padua
Originally, there was a chapel from 1826 dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. At the beginning of the 20th century, the chapel was expanded and a tower was added. Between 1993 and 1997, the church was rebuilt according to the project of Marián and Anna Gočovcov to the present form. In today’s church there are incorporated parts of the older building and the original historical altars were preserved. In 1998 Klin became a separate parish.
Amphitheater and wooden hut
The whole area around the hut serves not only as a restaurant, but it is also a place where various social, cultural and sporting events are organized. Folklore performances, dance entertainments, boxing tournaments, as well as Klin’s traditional breeders’ exhibitions are common.
Protected area Ťaskovka
The first nature reserve created in 1995 included an area of 0.6718 ha. On its area there is a tuff spring with travertine heaps, as well as peatbog with endangered species of plants and animals. The protected area is located in the upper part of the village near the Ťaskovka housing estate.
Oravske Vesele – history
The village Oravske Vesele was established in the neighbourhood of a mountain Pilsko, in a forested terain. The surrounding in which the village started to exist, had been since midieval times a part of Orava seat, a part of Hungarian empire. It was situated in hungarian-polish border area that was in Middle Ages scarsly inhabitted. People lived mainly as shepherds of livestock and sheep, they made sheep huts. In the areas woods were disforested and they formed fields and pastures. Local people were mostly liegemen of Orava castle.Read more
Area around the sculpture of Christ
This popular place is a private project of the inhabitant of Klin Jozef Sroka. In the center there is the statue of Jesus Christ, created in 2007 by sculptor Jozef Ganobjak. The statue is 9.5 meters high and the statue with the base weighs about 23 tonnes. Around the statue, more buildings and works were added. A statue of the kneeling John Paul II, Chapel of Mercy of God, a chapel with a statue of Virgin Mary, and many other objects were built there.
There was a wooden cross on the top of the Vahanov. At the turn of the 20th century it was replaced by a metallic one. In 2007 a gazebo was built and a few years later a stone chapel with a sculpture of St. Anthony of Padua was built too.
Nature of the Upper Orava
Upper Orava (in Slovak, Horná Orava) – the northern microregion of the unique and diverse region of Orava, borders with Poland. It is surrounded by the mountains of Orava Beskids, Orava Magura and Western Tatras – Roháče. It is northerly situated region of Slovak Republic, where the northernmost point of country – Modralová – is also located. Upper Orava’s northern position is reflected in a rough, cold and humid climate. The highest annual amount of rainfall in Slovakia is received here – summer is rainy, winter is severely frosty with high snow cover.Read more
Babia Góra is the highest and largest peak of the Orava Beskids. Its height is 1725 m above sea level. It is also called the “Princess of the Beskids”. Many stories and legends connect with her. In the lower parts of the mountain there are unique mountain forests in which the spruces dominate, between the blocks of sandstone, we can also find pseudokarst caves.
The Orava part of the Western Tatras is called Roháče. The most famous peaks include Volovec, Ostrý Roháč and Plačlivé the silhouette of which gave the mountain the name Roháč. The highest peak is Baníkov (2170 m above sea level). Roháče is a part of the High Tatras National Park, thanks to which they are covered by the highest degree of protection. There are many tourist attractions in their area, for example Juráňova dolina, Roháče Ponds or Roháčky waterfall.
Magurka is a peak of 1107 m above sea level, which is located in the main ridge of the Orava Magura. You can recognize it in a very simple way, because on the top there is a TV transmitter with a height of 80 meters. A well-known Magura meteorite fell in the vicinity of Magurka. Its parts are found in well-known museums around the world.
Ideas for the construction of a dam located in the Upper Orava Basin date back to the 19th century. In 1941, plans turned into action. Work on the dam lasted until 1953. As a result of the construction of the dam several towns completely disappeared: Slanica, Ústie nad Oravou, Oravské Hámre, Osada and Lavkov, which was the settlement of Lower Štefanov. The part of Bobrov and Námestovo was also demolished. When the tank is filled completely, the water floods the surface of 35 km2 and the maximum depth is 38 m.
Slanický island of art
Slanický island of art it is a former hill, on which stands the church dedicated to the Exaltation of St. Cross and the Way of the Cross. There is also a cemetery and the tomb of the Klinowski family. The hill was located above the sunken village of Slanica. In 1971, the exhibition of traditional folk art from the collections of Galeria Orawska was opened here, which is taking care of this exhibition all the time. Inside the church there is an exhibition titled “Slovak traditional folk sculpture and painting” and on the outside there was a lapidary on the island tittled “Orava Stone Sculpture of the 18th and 19th Centuries”.
The wooden building called “koniareň” is located in the forests above the village of Klin. Important place for foresters served as a night shelter for employees and at the same time as a stable for horses. The building is run by the town of Klin, who recently restored the building.
Chapel of the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
It is located on the border of the towns of Oravský Veselý and Sihelny near the road that connects the mentioned towns. The chapel has been restored in the recent past. In the niche of the chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the sculpture of the Virgin Mary.
Chapel of Saint Joseph
The roadside chapel of St. Joseph is located at the intersection of the main road leading through the Orava Veselé and the road to Sihelny. A small brick building was crowned with a small turret with a helmet in the shape of onion.
Church of Saint Elizabeth
In 1656, a wooden church was built in Oravské Veselé, and Saint Elizabeth became its patron. The brick church, which stands until today, was built from 1805. The construction was completed in 1815. The church has classicistic style elements and was modified and rebuilt several times.
Cyrilometodic double cross
In 2013, in the area of Oravské Veselé on Grapa, a 12-meter-high iron-concrete Cyrilometodic cross was erected. Cyrilometodic cross is the national symbol of the Slovaks and points to the Cyrilomethodean traditions of Slovakia.From the Grapa hill (876 m above sea level) you can admire the beautiful views of the surrounding land.
Pilsko – one of the majestic peaks of a microregion High Orava which is situated on a border with Poland. With its 1557 m a.s.l. it is not less known than its higher „sister“ Babia hora. Pilsko is a part of a massive of Orava Beskydy and Polish Zywiecke Beskydy. According to the area Natura 2000 it is a considerable teritory. Nowadays the Slovak part of Pilsko is situated in a zone A with the highest degree of protection in Protected landscape area Hight Orava. As regards land registry it is in the area of villages: Mutne, Namestovo /Namestovo Pilsko/ and Oravske Vesele.Read more